21 feared dead, 72 rescued from migrant ships off Libyan coast

ROME-  SOS Mediterranee aid group said on Tuesday that twenty-one people are feared dead and 72 have been rescued following migrant rescues in the central Mediterranean.

Those who have survived had been taken to the Sicilian port of Pozzallo, the non-governmental organization, which runs a rescue boat with Doctors Without Borders (MSF), it said in a tweet.

The organization has initially said late on Monday that SOS Mediterranee only one pregnant woman and 14 children with no family amongst the survivors.

Most of the migrants are from West Africa the organisation said.

A Gambian man was quoted by SOS Mediterranee, he said, “There were five women on board, four drowned, including a pregnant one. I lost my brother.”

According to survivors, 21 people died in the shipwreck, thirty were on board the sinking wooden boat.

First surviving migrants were rescued last week by the Cypriot merchant ship, they were then handed over to SOS Mediterranee later on Saturday.

Those trying to save themselves from the sinking ship jumped off for their survival, before the ship was intercepted by the Libyan coastguard, which has recently received training and funding from Italy and the EU to stop migrant departures.

International Organization for Migration figures show that 421 people have died or gone missing in the Libyan waters since the start of the year.

Photo Credit- iOL

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


1 + eleven =