Johannesburg – AfriForum has expressed concern at the recruitment of Covid-19 “brigades” in Gauteng schools, which it said had been done without the consultation of governing bodies.
This comes as Minister of basic education Angie Motshega announced that the country’s schools will reopen on June 1, starting with grade 7 and 12 pupils.
The Gauteng department of education has invited graduates between the ages of 18 and 35 to apply to be trained as brigades to help with certain tasks in schools. These tasks include the screening of staff and pupils, data capturing, and monitoring compliance with regulations such as social distancing, said spokesperson Steve Mabona.
AfriForum has come out and said “role and powers” of the brigade had not been clearly defined.
“It would have made more sense if the department had discussions with schools so that schools can decide for themselves whether they want to use brigades. Many schools enjoy active parental and community involvement and the duties of such an additional role can easily be filled from within the community itself,” said AfriForum spokesperson Henk Maree.