ALEX SHACK FIRE: ‘WE GOT ON TOP OF THE ROOF, TRYING TO GET OUT’

JOHANNESBURG – An Alexandra mother has described heroic scenes to Eyewitness News as a neighbour pulled her baby from her burning shack during a devastating fire.

According to EWN more than 40 families in Alexandra and Soweto have been left homeless after their homes were destroyed by fires in the early hours of the morning.

WATCH: 20 Alex shacks destroyed in fire

Emergency services warned residents not to leave their heating devices unattended during the current cold front that is gripping Gauteng.

A group of Alexandra residents made a small fire to stay warm when the temperatures significantly dropped on Monday night.

But their fire to keep warm turned into a nightmare when the fire was left unattended and spread to a nearby shack.

A woman who asked to remain anonymous described the incident through a translator, how she climbed onto the roof of her shack, screaming for help before a neighbour came to rescue her and her young baby.

She said, “We got on top of the roof, trying to get out. There was no place to get out. There were men who came to help us.”

She said they lost everything after the fire.

Photo Credit- EWN

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


seven + ten =