ANGER OVER NORTH EAST NIGERIA OVER BOKO KARAM ‘ABDUCTION’ RESPONSE

DAPCHI- Anger has erupted in the town were score of school girls were abducted early this week after Nigerian officials failed to account after the girls went missing.

Police reported on Wednesday that 111 girls from the state-run boarding school in Dapchi, in Yobe state, were unaccounted after a  jihadist raid on Monday night.

Moments later Abdullahi Bego, spokesperson for Yobe state governor Ibrahim Gaidam, said “some of the girls” had been rescued by troops “from the terrorists who abducted them”.

But a visit to Dapchi on Thursday state governor Gaidam seemed to question if any abduction occurred, he said,

“The girls scattered during the attack, and we can’t be sure whether they were lost or taken,” he said. “We have no certainty that these boys (Boko Haram) took these girls.

“Nobody saw these girls being taken in vehicles. It is possible some of the girls came across motorists and they gave them a ride to some places.”

His comments quickly spread, which angered many in Nigeria, particularly the youth of the country who went to streets to protest the lack of accountability and urgency of the government.

Information Minister Lai Mohammed did not comment on Gaidam sentiments but said, “As things develop we will let you know. But we cannot categorically say, ‘x number of girls have been abducted’. But we can say that not all have returned.”

Photo Credit- Daily Post

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


2 × 5 =