BAMAKO – Malian army general and former government minister Moussa Sinko Coulibaly has resigned his post and declared to stand in the country’s presidential elections to be held in July 2018, sources confirmed on Sunday.
Coulibaly, who is the second candidate after Kalifa Sanogo to challenge Malian president Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, says he stands a better chance of becoming the next Malian president next year.
With years working under Keita’s cabinet as a Minister of Territorial Administration in the transition government, Coulibaly is confident that he has what it takes to transform the fortunes of the country.
In his letter of resignation, Coulibaly said he wanted to “contribute in another manner to find solutions to the political, economic, educational, cultural and social challenges facing our country.”
Sources close to Coulibaly say he has been considering to being the president for a long time, and he believes this is the best opportunity to do so, adding that Keita and Sanogo won’t be any threat come elections.
Coulibaly is not new in Mali’s politics and was also part of the army forces which were actively involved in toppling a Malian government in a coup in 2012.
Political unrest infused with violence has been mounting in Mali in recent months, leaving the Malian government with no choice but to postpone regional and municipal elections which were previously scheduled for December 17, and now slated for April 18.