Banned Warner, Bancroft set for July return

SYDNEY – Disgraced Australian stars David Warner and Cameron Bancroft will return to competitive cricket at a low-level limited-overs tournament in the country’s tropical north in July, it was announced Tuesday.

Warner is currently serving a year-long ban from state and international cricket, Bancroft who carried out the ball tampering is serving a nine-month suspension for the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa in March that rocked the cricketing world.

Northern Territory Cricket chief Joel Morrison said in a statement, “We’re delighted that Cameron and David will be joining us in Darwin for the Strike League,”

“Their presence and experience will be invaluable for our local players.”

Warner plays his club cricket at Sydney club side Randwick Petersham from September, where he spent time running cricket clinics last month in Darwin.

He said, “I’m really looking forward to playing in the Strike League in July,”

“I heard so much about the competition while I was in Darwin earlier this month that I’m keen to be part of it.”

Steve Smith the former Australian captain who was also suspended over the tampering incident, will make his return at an inaugural Global T20 Canada event in Toronto from 28 June to 15 July.

Photo Credit-  AFP / Gulshan Khan

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


thirteen − 3 =