LONDON- Chelsea have sacked manager Antonio Conte after two years in charge.
The 48-year-old Italian, who returned to pre-season training this week, had only one year left on his contract.
Conte won the Premier League in his first season and the FA Cup in May, but the team finished fifth in the league last season, missing out on Champions League qualification and what was described as a disappointed.
Ex-Napoli manager Maurizio Sarri is expected ti succeed his compatriot at Stamford Bridge.
Is Sarri is appointed as the new coach for the London side, it would the ninth manager for the club since 2003 when Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich bought the club.
Chelsea announced on Friday that Conte had “parted company” with the club. In a 61-word statement concluded, “We wish Antonio every success in his future career.”
In his contract it is guaranteed that he will be paid off, it is reported that the amount is around £9m, for the final year.
- Conte’s 30 league wins in the 2016-17 campaign was a record until Manchester City produced 32 in 2017-18.
- He set a club record 13 consecutive league victories.
- His league win percentage of 67.1% is better than Sir Alex Ferguson’s 65.2% and only bettered by Pep Guardiola’s 72.8% in the Premier League.
- He averaged 2.14 points per game in the league. Only Ferguson (2.16) and Guardiola (2.34) have averaged more in the competition’s history
- He won 69 and drew 20 of his 106 games in charge of the club.
Photo Credit- www.sowetanlive.co.za