Johannesburg – The Communication Workers Union (CWU) has rejected the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC)’s Section 189 retrenchment plan after accusing the public broadcaster of failing to consult unions on its decisions.
On Thursday, the SABC announced that it had concluded its retrenchment process, with at least 3030 employees expected to lose their jobs.
However, the union, which represents some workers at the SABC, said the reduced number of redundancies made little to no difference when it came to ensuring the embattled company was financially viable.
The retrenchment process reached boiling point in December after SABC workers protested against the planned retrenchments and called for the process to be scrapped.
The SABC reduced the number of employees who face retrenchment from 600 to 303, which is part of the broadcaster’s turnaround plan.
However, CWU has stuck to its gun of no retrenchments.
General secretary Aubrey Tshabalala said: “We think that the SABC has jumped the gun without consulting our members, so we reject the 303 retrenchments.”
The public broadcaster said the final number of redundancies depended on staff accepting alternatives that had been proposed such as a three-year salary freeze.
Tshabalala said this demonstration the institution’s dire financial position.