Kigali – The family of a man who inspired a Hollywood film about the 1994 genocide say he is being “dictated to by Rwanda authorities” on what to say while in custody.
Paul Rusesabagina was arrested in August. He had been living in exile.
His family allege he was kidnapped in Dubai and taken to Rwanda. The authorities have not said where he was arrested.
Rusesabagina is accused of 13 accounts of terrorism but declined on Thursday that he was also denied an independent team of lawyers.
His five children told a virtual press conference on Thursday that he was also denied in Rwanda. His daughter Anaise Kanimba said they still don’t know how their father ended up in Rwanda.
“And we know that he was tortured to say what they want and have prepared,” she said.
His children asked the Rwanda President, Paul Kagame, to free their sick father and called on the Belgian and US governments to intervene.
In court, 66-year-old Rusesabagina has been assisted by two lawyers from the Rwanda bar association, whom his family say were selected by the government.
A court in the capital, Kigali, will on Friday decide on his appeal on bail.
While in police custody, Rusesabagina was quoted by the New York Times as saying that “he boarded a private jet destined for Bujumbura, Burundi” and ended up in Kigali.