JOHANNESBURG- Former president Jacob Zuma son, Duduzane Zuma is to be charged for culpable homicide, the NPA did send him a letter asking him to supply them with reasons as to why he should not be prosecuted for culpable homicide.
The charge relates to the death of Phumzile Dube in a car accident in February 2014 involving Duduzane when his Porsche crashed into the minibus she was travelling on the M1 highway in Sandton.
In inquest that was conducted by the NPA found that Duduzane should not be prosecuted in connection with her death, but that seems to have changed.
Advocate Gerrie Nel of civil rights group AfriForum decided to go the private prosecution route last year, applied for a certificate of non-prosecution on behalf of the Dube family, so that they could pursue a private prosecution.
National Director of Public Prosecutions Authority (NDPP) boss Shaun Abrahams has done a complete 180 and informed AfriForum this week that he is reviewing his decision not to press chargers.
Head of Afriforum Kallie Kriel says they are quite pleased at the decision,
“This is a victory for the Dube family, Gerrie Nel and AfriForum, but also for everyone in the country who is fed up that former president Jacob Zuma, his friends and his family have managed to duck prosecution because of the protection that the NPA offered them,” he said.
Travel records obtained by the City Press has shown that Duduzane left the country on January 18 on an Emirates flight to Dubai, where he owns a R17 million flat the Guptas bought for him, according to the Gupta leaks.
Photo Credit- The South African