Family in fear after ex ANC councillor is killed

CAPE TOWN – The family of slain former ANC provincial executive committee (PEC) members Elese Depouche has raised concerns over their safety he was gunned down outside his Crossroads home.

Depouche was killed on Tuesday.

Spokesperson of the police Noloyiso Rwexana said Deppouche was in his car with his wife, Nobuntu, when two assailants fired several shots at them.

“Both victims were transported to hospital for medical treatment; the 50 year old man succumbed to his injuries. Cases of murder and attempted murder are being investigated,” said Rwexana.

Nobuntu got injured in the arms. She was subsequently discharged from hospital.

Depouche was a controversial figure in social politics. He was removed from the city three years ago when he pointed a gun at an elderly lady.

Yonki Rasayi, his nephew, said Depouche’s 14-year-old daughter was traumatised by the incident. The teenager was opening the gate for her father to park the car when the assailants shot him.

“It was about 12 shots,” Rasayi said.

“The family is certainly feeling unsafe as this happened outside his house.

“We are not even sure why these people targeted him, we don’t know whether it was politically motivated or otherwise,” he said.

He said the family knew of a hit placed on him last year.

The provincial SA National Civic Organisation expressed its condolences.

Photo Credit- The New Age

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


14 − thirteen =