‘Inxeba’ makes R1.5m in comeback after short ban

JOHANNESBURG-  The award winning controversial film Inxeba: The Wound came back with a bang with its gross earnings added another R1.5 million from 24739 movie-goers at the weekend, nearly double its premier weekend takings before it was banned.

Distribution company Indigenous Films MD Helen Kuun said, “We are currently playing on 12 sites,”

More cinemas across the country will be added on the list, she added the movie made to their top 20 list in the industry but for the weekend was the third highest circulated film behind first place Black Panther and Death Wish.

Kunn said, “There was no violence or protests,” after interruptions and disruptions were experienced after the film premiered in February, the week was peaceful she said.

Ste Kinekor head of marketing Lynne Wylie added,  “They were no interruptions at Ster-Kinekor cinemas,”

The film has been met with mixed reactions, Inxeba is a film about a gay love story set in a Xhosa initiation school.

The film was previously rated X by Film and Publications Board Appeals Tribunal after a compliant was laid by the Congress of Traditional Leaders of South Africa and Man and Boy Foundation, the X-rated decision essentially banned the film from public cinemas.

The Pretoria high court reversed the decision last week, depending on the outcome of the review which is expected in March 28.

Photo Credit- Channel24

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


11 + 4 =