KZN’s biggest mall working with police to probe suspicious devices amid security fears

DURBAN- KwaZulu-Natal’s biggest shopping centre, Durban’s Gateway Mall, says it is working closely with the police to counter the sudden surge in suspicious devices being found in the city in recent months.

The latest discovery of suspicious devices came on Monday night when the police bomb disposal unit found a suspicious “parcel” at a Spar in Wentworth, in the south of Durban.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Vish Nadioo said on Tuesday, the device was`destroyed by the unit in a controlled detonation.

He said the explosives unit was called to the scene to examine a suspicious device‚ but that it proved to be “negative”.

Gateway Mall spokesperson Michelle Shelley tried to rest assure the public that they are taking the incidents “very seriously”, but did not confirm if security had been heightened.
“The mall is working closely with the relevant authorities to provide information and assistance wherever possible for ongoing investigation. We also assure the public that we are taking all precautions possible to ensure the safety of our shoppers, staff and tenants.”

DA leader for the KZN Zwakele Mncwango said he had written to the head of the South African Police Service’s Crime Intelligence division in the province, Major General Thuso Tshika, they requested a formal meeting to discuss the recent security scares in the province.

Mncwango said, “The recent reports of suspicious devices found in and around Durban shopping malls should be a security concern to all in SA.”

 

Photo Credit- Daily Maverick

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


three × 5 =