JOHANNESBURG- Embattled North West leader Supra Mahmapelo will not officially announce his decision to step down from his role as head of the province on Wednesday morning as expected.
A surprised turn from an announcement where he said he will resign. His office told journalist that the briefing had been “postponed indefinitely”.
They said developments overnight lead to the decision, Mahumapelo spoke to News24 on Wednesday morning,
“The provincial leadership of the ANC has directed that I not resign until the PEC has met today,” Mahumapelo told News24 on Wednesday morning.
It is being reported and understood that an emergency meeting was held to discuss his decision.
News24 is reporting a member of the chief whip’s office that no resignation had been received from Mahumapelo.
He said they heard about the resignation from the media but as far as they were concerned, he remains premier.
It was widely reported late on Tuesday that Mahamapelo was leaving his office, including confirming to the SABC that he will be resigning.
The ANC provincial committee even released a statement, confirming they welcomed Mahmapelo resignation.
The North West province has been experiencing unrest and violent protest, as ANC members and protests have asked the premier to step down.