DAMATURU- In an almost deja vu nightmare, more than 100 school girls are missing police said, two days after Boko Haram attacked a school in northeast Nigeria.
The Islamic militants stormed into Government Girls Science Secondary School in Dapchi, Yobe state, on Monday evening.
Initial reports reports said girls and teachers fled the scene.
But officials and parents anxiety is rising as the students who have “fled” have not returned.
Abdulmaliki Sumonu is being reported to have said that, “815 students returned to the school and were visibly seen, out of 926 in the school”,
“The rest are missing. No case of abduction has so far been established,” he said.
“Although we were told they had run to some villages, we have been to all these villages mentioned without any luck. We are beginning to harbour fears the worst might have happened.
Abubakar Shehu told AFP, whose niece is amongst those missing from Dapchi, “Our girls have been missing for two days and we don’t know their whereabouts.
“We have the fear that we are dealing with another Chibok scenario.”
16-year-old Falmata is missing and her father Inuwa Mohammed is confused by the scenario, “Nobody is telling us anything officially,” he said. “We still don’t know how many of our daughters were recovered and how many are still missing.
“We have been hearing many numbers, between 67 and 94.”
“It is only after the head-count that we will be able to say whether any girls were taken.”
Boko Haram gained notoriety after they kidnapped 276 Chibok girls in 2014. Still 112 are being held.
Photo Credit- Daily Post