Nairobi – Kenyan opposition leader Raila Odinga has withdrawn from the October 26 presidential re-run elections, Kenyan authorities have confirmed.
However, the presidential candidate of the National Super Alliance (NASA) coalition has not yet submitted a formal notice for his decision.
Kenya’s electoral authorities on Wednesday said as long as Odinga does not submit a formal notice, he remains eligible to participate in the presidential elections in October.
Kenyatta’s main challenger shocked many Kenyan nationals when he told the media he was pulling out of the presidential race, accusing the election commission (IEBC) for failing to deliver vital reforms.
This comes after the IEBC said it shall include all the eight candidates who participated in the 8th August presidential elections.
It is reported the IEBC took note of Odinga’s withdrawal letter, but said they were still waiting for a formal notice that supports his decision.
“Once the commission receives the requisite notice from any of the candidates, it will process the same in accordance with the… law,” IEBC said.
According to Odinga, his withdrawal doesn’t mean he is giving up on the standing entirely but a strategic move to ensure a free and fair election.
Following Kenyatta’s apparent win last month, Kenya’s Supreme Court nullified the polls and called for a re-run within 60 days, citing a number of counting irregularities and mismanagement by election officials.