MAIDUGURI- Parents of the 105 missing girls in Northeast Nigeria have released their names, the girls have been missing for nearly a week, after Boko Haram militants attacked Daphci in Yoba state demanding that locals direct them toward the school for girls.
In an report by Reuters, the number is now 110, “The Federal Government has confirmed that 110 students of the Government Science and Technical College in Dapchi, Yobe State, are so far unaccounted for, after insurgents believed to be from a faction of Boko Haram invaded their school on Monday,” the information ministry said in a statement.
The whereabouts or livelihood of the girls it still unknown, as fears are that the girls have been sold to forced marriages to Boko Haram extremists.
Bashir Manzo his daughter Fatima is one of those missing said, “This list did not come from the school management or any government source but collated by us from the parents of the girls,” he said. “As far as we are concerned, the governor is still being fed with fake information about these poor girls.”
“All those that fled into the bush had been brought back to the school on Tuesday, and a roll call was taken after which they had all gone home to meet their parents,” he said.
President Muhammadu Buhari has apologised for this incident, he said earlier in the week, ”
“The entire country stands as one with the girls’ families, the government and the people of Yobe State. This is a national disaster. We are sorry that this could have happened and share your pain. We pray that our gallant armed forces will locate and safely return your missing family members,” he said.
Troops have been sent to look for the missing girls.
Photo Credit- AP news