JOHANNESBURG – South African troops serving in the UN peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo have been accused of beating a 17-year old boy and sexually exploiting women, said a UN spokesperson on Monday.
The NUN and South African investigators will conduct a joint probe of the four allegations of misconduct that took place in Kasai province and in North Kivu.
These allegations, that surfaced last week, involve a 17-year old Congolese boy who as subjected to “physical violence” in eastern Kasai, said spokesperson Stephane Dujarric.
The United Nations has requested South Africa to send a team of agents to the DRC within five days and that the investigation be completed within 90 days, given the “serious concern raised by these allegations”.
Other three allegations concern the sexual exploitation of women in the North Kivu towns of Sake, Goma and Beni, one of whom have given birth to a child and is seeking child support.
However, Dujarric did not say how many troops were involved.
The military in Pretoria said it took the allegations of “torture and assault” in a “serious light”.
Spokesperson of South Africa’s military Mafi Mgobozi said that the investigators would be dispatched to the DRC within days.
The UN has nearly 17,500 troops and police serving in the DRC, 1,300 of which are from South Africa. In 2015, South Africa recalled home 50 of its peacekeepers for alleged “security breaches”.
Photo Credit- Buzz South Africa