Cape Town – The SA Human Rights Commission is taking legal action against the Western Cape over its decision to reopen schools.
The commission wants the province to reserve its decision.
Western Cape officials have said its s schools are ready to reopen on Monday as lockdown alert level 3 begins.
Despite the Basic Education Department postponing its planned reopening of schools to next week, the province has decided to open its schools.
MEC for Education Debbie Schafer last week reported that four schools in the province had recorded Covid-19 cases among returning teachers.
The Hague Primary School in Delft, Kasselsvlei, Parkvale Primary School in Valhalla Park and Wallacedene Primary School saw returning teachers testing positive for Covid-19
Schafer has insisted that the province is ready and able to begin the school program despite these cases.
SAHRC’s Andre Gaum said the province is not perfectly ready.
“According to our monitoring and our assessment and also surveys that have been done, they are about 80 percent ready. So there are also a substantial number of schools in the Western Cape that are, indeed, not ready.”