Johannesburg– Choreographer, radio presenter and Idols judge Somizi Mhlongo handed himself over to police and got bail of R1 500, after Fikile Mbalula Minister of Transport opened a case against him.
Mhlongo appeared in a video in which he is heard talking about the national lockdown. The video emerged last week Thursday just hours before President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that he would be extending the national for two more weeks.
Mhlongo was heard in the video telling fellow Metro FM host Dineo Ranaka that “Fikile” told him that the lockdown would be extended. It was understood that he was referring to Mbalula.
The president indeed announced that the lockdown would be extended by two weeks.
The entertainer has since apologized for the comment and labeled it a “very bad joke” and also denied ever speaking to the minister about the matter.
Mbalula said he forgave Mhlongo but still proceeded with opening a case against the entertainer at the Sandton Police Station on Friday.
Police spokesperson Brigadier Vish Naidoo confirmed that he appeared at the station with his legal representative on Friday.
“He was granted bail and he is expected to reappear again on 3 July 2020,” said Naidoo.