JOHANNESBURG – A security guard who is accused of sexually assaulting up to 87 girls at a primary school in Soweto where he worked is expected to appear in the Protea North Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday morning.
The 54 year old guard had allegedly assaulted the girls at the school, said the provincial department of education.
The news broke when one of the victims’ grandmother contacted the school to find out if what her granddaughter was true. When the news finally broke last week, the number of pupil the man had allegedly sexually assaulted, grew and the number has risen to 87.
The Gauteng education spokesperson Steve Mabona was reported saying the man was arrested on October 9 after a case was opened by two pupils-one who is in Grade 2 and another is in Grade 6.
Mabona also said that the two girls reported that they have been subjected to the assault since February 2016.
“Since the case has been opened, during interaction with learners it was then established that he allegedly assaulted 54 girls at the school,” Mabona said at the time. But the number had completely risen since it was first reported.
The spokesperson said social workers and a team from the Gauteng education department had been deployed to the school.
Image courtesy of East Coast Radio