Thousands of commuters still stranded in Cape Town

CAPE TOWN – Thousands of commuters who use Cape Town’s central line are still waiting for Metrorail to say when the train service, suspended since January 8, will be restored. The service on the central line stopped working last month when United Transport Union (UNTU) members refused to work after the killing of a security guard.

Member of the union were “ready to resume their duties” that is what Sonja Carstens, media and liaison officer at UNTU, said on January 30. This was following an agreement with the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa) on security workers.

However, the service was suspended again immediately after because of vandalism on the line. It is now the fifth week that no trains have run.

Metrorail spokesperson, Riana Scott said taking into account single and return ticket sales, weekly ticket sales and monthly ticket sales, 48 000 tickets were sold on the central line per weekday when the trains were running. Scott, however, could not say when the line would be operating again.

She said a multi-faceted service recovery plan was needed first.

“Some interventions are already in the supply chain procurement process which has to follow due course to comply with state-owned entity procurement principles, Treasury regulations and Prasa’s supply chain policies,” she said

Some central line commuters have made arrangements using other line.

Photo Credit- IOL

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


10 − one =