Toll rises in Guatemala volcano as more bodies recovered

GUATEMALA- Rescue workers pulled more bodies on Monday from under the dust and rubble left by an explosive eruption of Guatemala’s Fuego volcano, bringing the death toll to at least 69.

Fanuel Garcia head of the National Inistitute of Foresensic Sciences said of them, only 17 have been identified so far.

There also 46 people injured, most of them are serious, more than 1.7 million being hit by the disaster, including 3 271 ordered evacuated and 1 787 in shelters in the departments of Escuintla, Sacatepequez and Chimaltenango since Sunday’s eruption.

On Sunday the 3 763m volcano erupted early,  spewing out towering plumes of ash and a hail of fiery rock fragments with scalding mud.

The initial toll of 25 dead, has been revised upwards in just a space of a few hours, as more bodies were recovered from villages razed by the tumbling mud.

Sergio Cabanas of Guatemala’s disaster management agency said,  “There are missing persons, but we do not know how many.”

A roll call of communities on the slopes of the volcano is under way.

According to a AFP report, one of their journalist saw at least three bodies burned in the rubble of the village of San Miguel Los Lotes, where rescue workers, soldiers and police were frantically searching for survivors.

The report paints a town that is surround by dead dogs, chickens and ducks laying among the mud and ash, much of it still smoking.

Eufemia Garcia, 48, weeping, told AFP, “I do not want to leave, but go back, and there is nothing I can do to save my family,” she was searching for her three children, her mother, nephews and siblings.

Photo Credit-Yahoo

 

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


16 − six =