Johannesburg – Truck drivers are angry and are waiting for Labour Minister Thulas Nxesi to tell them something “positive so they can stop their protest”.
This is the word from the Gauteng Secretary of the All Truck Drivers Foundation (ATDF), Mandla Mngomezulu.
“The truck drivers are refusing to work,” said Mngomezulu.
The foundation advised its members to stay at home.
“The violence must stop and maybe the minister can say something that’s positive,” Mngomezulu said.
“We asked drivers yesterday [Tuesday] to stay at home. We are saying they should stay away and sit at home.
“Maybe the minister will come up with something.”
Day one of the national shutdown was marred by acts of violence and intimidation, as truck drivers took to the streets in City Deep, Johannesburg on Tuesday to vent their anger.
The truck drivers accused companies of hiring foreign nationals over South Africans.
Nxusi has met with those affected to try and resolve the matter and said a task team has been appointed to look into the matter.
The South African National Cargo Transport Drivers Association’s Daniel Mofokeng said they are disappointed with the minister’s response and think it’s an insult.
Last year, over 70 trucks were torched in KwaZulu- Natal, as truck drivers took their anger to the streets causing property damage estimated at more than R1-billion.