Washington – US President-elect Joe Biden has said outreach from the White House over the transition has been “sincere”.
“It has not been begrudging so far, and I don’t expect it to be,” said Biden in an interview with NBC News.
Biden spoke as he unveiled his choice of top officials for when he takes over from Donald Trump in January.
Trump finally agreed to allow the formal transition process to begin on Monday, nearly three weeks after the presidential elections.
Yet he still refuses to admit defeat, repeating unsubstantiated claims that the 3 November vote was “rigged”.
Speaking to NBC, Biden confirmed he had not yet spoken to the president but added that he did not expect the beginning of his term to be affected by the delay in beginning the transition.
“It’s a slow start but it’s starting and there’s two months left to go, so I’m feeling good about the ability to be able to get up to speed,” said Biden.
There were, he said, plans for him to meet the Covid-19 task force in the White House about vaccine distributed and access.
As well as getting the Presidential Daily Brief, Biden now has access to key government officials and millions of dollars in funds as he prepares to take over on 20 January.