Vape pen explosion pierces Florida man’s killing him

FLORIDA-  A US man died when a vape pen blew up and projected fragments into his skull, a post-mortem examination has found.

The man has been named as Tallmadge D’Elia, he suffered burns over 80% of his body in a fire on 5 May caused by the exploding e-cigarette, according to forensic officials.

D’Elia, 38 year’s old a television producer, his body was discovered by firefighters in a burning bedroom of his family home in the beach resort of St Petersburg, Florida.

His death has been ruled as an accident.

The Tampa Bay Times reported that Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner said the official cause of death was “projectile wound of head.”

According to the autopsy two pieces of the vape pen were found in his cranium, part of his skull.

The report also said emergency services encountered “extensive” fire damage to the bedroom where D’Elia body was found, but minimal smoke.

The medical examiner said the electronic cigarette was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain.

D’Elia father Christopher D’Elia said the death was a terrible shock and speaking to ABC Action News he said,

“Anybody who has lost a son doesn’t want anybody else to lose a child to something like this.”

The US Fire administration records have claimed between 2009-2016 there have been 195 separate incidents of explosions and fires involving e-cigarettes, 133 acute injuries, 38 were severe.

Photo Credit- Facebook-BBC.com

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


seventeen − 4 =